- OCTOBER COUNCIL MEETINGS: Monday, October 9th & Monday, October 23rd
- TRICK OR TREAT: Tuesday, October 31st 5:00- 7:00 PM Please turn your porch light on if you are handing out treats.
City of Durant Parks & Recreation
All parks in the City are open to the public from 6:00am to 10:00pm.
Here is some information for anyone interested in reserving the baseball/softball fields for the year.
– Reservations will be done through the website https://cityofdurantiowa.com/ball-field-scheduling/
– You are allowed to reserve one field/timeslot for PRACTICE at a time. The day of said practice, you can then submit your request for your NEXT practice. Example: you practice 5-630 on 4/19, you can submit your request for 4/26 as of 12:01 a.m. on 4/19. This is so you can relay next practice info at the day’s practice.
– GAMES will take priority over any PRACTICES. If you need to make up a game, please add that to the notes and you will have the whole block reserved.
– T-Ball practices may have 2 teams practice together with each team using half the field.
– Request is subject to verification. You should receive verification from scheduler within 8 hours.
City hall will not take reservations for fields, this must be done as listed above. Thank you.
Jaycee Park is situated one block north of 5th Street (F58 or old Hwy 6) between 6th & 7th Street and 10th & 11th Avenue. The park is complete with a ball field, tennis court, playground, skatepark, a new large park shelter with restrooms/concession stand and two small park shelters.
The park shelters at Jaycee Park are available to use any time on a first come first serve basis. If you would like to guarantee use of a shelter, a reservation form is required to be completed and a fee paid at City Hall.
Feldhahn Park is located on Hwy 6 on the east edge of Durant. This park has three softball fields, restrooms/concession stand, two small picnic shelters and a walking path.
The two small picnic shelters are strictly on a first come first serve basis at Feldhahn Park. The concession stand and ball fields can be reserved.
PROPOSED FELDHAHN PARK PLAYGROUND SPRING 2024
- Located west of the new shelter (under construction).
- Volunteers will be needed to assemble & install the equipment. Marie Richman will be seeking volunteers.
- The Park Board is hoping to raise enough funds for a poured rubber surface under the equipment.
- Watch for Durant Fall Fest advertising & details, Saturday, November 4, 2023 at the Durant Community Center. Pit Crew BBQ & Vixen Creations are organizing the fest. A fun time for the whole family !! Fall Fest will be an opportunity to donate money for this playground equipment and project.
Pythian Sisters Park
Pythian Sisters Park is located on Hwy 6 in the center of town east of the fire station and ambulance building. This is a beautiful park with plenty of shade trees and a rain garden. A memorial for Veterans of the Armed Services stands in this park. As you are traveling through Durant this is a perfect spot to stop and have a picnic!
NOTICE: FOR CITY NOTIFICATIONS SUCH AS SNOW EMERGENCIES….
Effective July 1, 2021, Cedar County Emergency Management has a new notification system that will also affect the City of Durant. We now use Alert Iowa. If you were signed up prior to July 1, 2021 with WENS-Wireless Emergency Notification System - you will need to sign up under Alert Iowa. It does not matter what county you live in, if you sign up you will receive local alerts and notification. In order for anyone to receive local notifications such as boil orders or snow emergencies, please go to https://ema.cedar-county.org/. Under “Sign Up Now” an account can be created so you can receive the county and local city alerts. You can also text CedarIA to 672-83 to create an account.
ALL PHONE CONTACT INFORMATION - EVEN LAND LINES - WILL NEED TO SIGN UP UNDER ALERT IOWA.
If you do not sign up there will be no notifications from the City of Durant. Unfortunately that is how this system is designed under Iowa Homeland Security.
If you have general questions, please call City Hall at 563-785-4451. If you need help creating an account please call Cedar County Emergency Management and Jodi or Kate can assist with helping you create an account: 563-886-3355. We are hoping in the future to have a direct link from our website to Cedar County EMA to make it easier to sign up. If you do not have a computer or smart phone and would like to sign up, you may call Cedar County EMA, or you may use the computers at the Durant Branch, Scott County Library to set up an account.