The History of Durant, Iowa

Our History

The History of Durant, Iowa1835 | David W Walton, first settler in this vicinity, which later becomes Durant.

1853 | The Mississippi and Missouri Railroad come to Iowa and survey across the northern part of Muscatine county.

1854 | Benjamin Brayton, a civil engineer for the Rock Island Railroad, comes to the area to negotiate railroad business. Brayton with friends, John Dix and Thomas Durant, change the course of the railroad to go through Cedar County. A town is laid out and platted by Brayton and Mr. Durant donates $800.00 for the erection of a schoolhouse. Brayton names the new town “Durant” in honor of his esteemed friend. Village well dug in June 1854.

1855 | Durant is recorded as a town June 27, 1855. First building in town erected by James Young, a carpenter, in August. Shortly thereafter the hotel and depot were built.

1858 | First schoolhouse built in the Spring of 1858.

1867 | Durant is incorporated on July 5th, Mr. Allen Nesbitt is elected as first Mayor.

1835 | David W Walton, first settler in this vicinity, which later becomes Durant.

1853 | The Mississippi and Missouri Railroad come to Iowa and survey across the northern part of Muscatine county.

1854 | Benjamin Brayton, a civil engineer for the Rock Island Railroad, comes to the area to negotiate railroad business. Brayton with friends, John Dix and Thomas Durant, change the course of the railroad to go through Cedar County. A town is laid out and platted by Brayton and Mr. Durant donates $800.00 for the erection of a schoolhouse. Brayton names the new town “Durant” in honor of his esteemed friend. Village well dug in June 1854.

1855 | Durant is recorded as a town June 27, 1855. First building in town erected by James Young, a carpenter, in August. Shortly thereafter the hotel and depot were built.

1858 | First schoolhouse built in the Spring of 1858.

1867 | Durant is incorporated on July 5th, Mr. Allen Nesbitt is elected as first Mayor.

The History of Durant, Iowa

Tri-County Heritage/Genealogy Museum

Tri-County Heritage & Genealogy Museum

820 5th Street
PO Box 845
Durant, IA  52747 

Hours
The museum hours are Wednesdays from 3:00pm – 6:00pm, and Saturdays from 9:00am – 12:00pm.  Appointments by calling 563.320.5809.

Tri-County Heritage & Genealogy Museum Board Members

Dale Trede, President    563.370.4994

Annette Richardson, Vice President   563.260.4538

Brad Mumm, Treasurer

Charles Wuestenberg, Treasurer

Mary Erickson, Secretary   563.320.5809

Dawn Smith, Board Member   563.785.6831

Erna Cielecki, Board Member   563.785.4830

Member of the Iowa Museum Association

 

Sign up for Cedar County Emergency Alerts

In the event of an emergency or severe weather, an alert will be sent to the phone number and/or email address provided by voice, text and/or email.